Valentine’s day presents the perfect opportunity to push the boat out and spoil our special people properly, especially after the darker times we’ve all endured recently. Also, what a great opportunity to reinvent the rather over commercialised affair that Valentine’s has become? Here’s to sprinkling some home made, artisan charm over February 14th to create a truly special day. From gorgeous romantic eco candles to decadent gluten free chocolate brownie desserts – we’ve got it all covered here. Everyone is welcome to join our DIY Valentine’s supper; no posh jacket required. Cosy PJ’s, slippers and a bottle of bubbles will do just fine.
We’ve selected the tastiest of recipes from our Honeybuns All Day Cook Book to create a swoon worthy menu you can easily put together at home.
How about cooking the suggested dishes in advance and freezing them?
You can then spend Cupid’s day relaxing in the deepest bubble bath or snuggled up with a book, safe in the knowledge you’ve got supper sorted? Or surprise a loved one or a lonesome neighbour by sending them this menu together with some of our award winning gluten free chocolate brownies.
I’m looking forward to cooking the menu for our family and our bubble of 2. It’ll be a great excuse to light some hand made candles, pick some fresh flowers, eat fab, healthy food and dream of Spring time sunshine-.
NB This year we’ve teamed up with some brilliant artisan makers to create some very special Valentine’s gift boxes. All items are gluten free with vegan options and we’ve been super careful to consider the environment as well. You’ll find lots of gift ideas online.
Here’s your Step by Step Guide to creating your own ‘at home’ Valentine’s Supper
The Honeybuns Vegan Valentine’s Day Menu
Starter: Smoky Aubergine Dip with gluten free crackers
Main: Vegan Moussaka with fresh herbs and roasted veggies
Pudding: Warm Vegan dark chocolate brownies
This recipe will feed 2 as a starter or double up for 4 & so forth.
What Ingredients will you need for the Aubergine Dip?
I’ve bracketed (swapsies & suggestions) ingredients to help make this recipe as adaptable as possible.
- Oil for brushing (rapeseed, refined coconut, corn, olive oils all fine)
- 1 x aubergine (or courgette, carrot, asparagus, beetroot)
- 1 x garlic clove, crushed then finely chopped
- ¼-½ tsp sweet smoked paprika (all supermarkets do it. It does need to be sweet & smoked. It makes a difference IMHO). We love La Chinata from Sous Chef
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper (or ground black/white or cayenne)
- Juice of half a lemon (or lime)
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo like the Bay Tree (other brands available inc Hellmans)
- 2 tsp tahini (not a deal breaker if you leave this out)
- 12 approx fresh leaves of oregano or mint or basil or thyme or a combination of any of these. We love oregano & mint (dried or frozen will work if you don’t have fresh)
What Kit will you need?
- Roasting tin
- Garlic crusher or metal spoon
- Mini food processor or mixing bowl and a fork, or mixing bowl and hand held electric mixer/blender
Here’s how to make this moreish Dip
Why not take a look at Em’s Bake-along video when she made this gorgeous dip in her kitchen.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / Gas 5
- Prick the aubergine all over with a fork & place in a roasting tin.
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 mins until the aubergine has really collapsed in on itself and gone wrinkly.
- Take care to not burn yourself but the best test is to squidge the aubergine on either side with your fingers. It needs to feel properly collapsed & squidgy inside.
- Set aside to cool.
- Slice the aubergine lengthways and scoop the innards out with a spoon. Don’t worry about the seeds as they can all be blitzed into the dip.
- Place the aubergine pulp in a mixing bowl along with all the other ingredients and mash together until a thick paste is formed. Using this method you will retain some texture/chunks. If you prefer a smoother dip then you can blitz in a food processor.
Serve with gluten free and vegan crackers. We love Easy Bean’s Green pea and chia seed crackers. We’ve got lovely gluten free and vegan bread and cracker recipes in the Honeybuns All Day Cook Book.
To make our vegan Moussaka
- To make our Moussaka with fresh herbs and roasted veggies simply follow this link for a step by step guide.
- Serve with a simple leafy salad- thus leaving room for pud-
To make our vegan Dark Chocolate Brownies
Take a look here for the recipe for our soft and fudgey brownies. These are best served warm. We love them with Judes vegan ice cream. Alternatively you can buy these brownies in tray bake form directly from ourselves.
More Top Tips for the cosiest most romantic day ever!
Candles are perfect for setting a romantic scene. We love the hand poured vegan and eco rhubarb & rose scented candles from The Rhubarb Candle Company. They’re based just down the road from us here in Dorset. This Valentine’s we’ve teamed up with them and produced a simply gorgeous vegan candle & cake gift set. Perfect as a really indulgent gift. Delivery is available anywhere in the UK.
Chocolate on Valentine’s Day is a given. Why not try out the multi award winning vegan chocolatier Solkiki? Another Dorset artisan producer, Solkiki’s extensive range includes vegan and gluten free options not available in the supermarkets.
Gifts We’ve got a lovely range of beautiful and unique artisan gifts online. We’re collaborating with fellow artisan producers who share our eco values and make gorgeous things. Check out our online shop gift range.
Please do let us know how the meal goes, we’d love to see any pics.
Comment below and share what your favourite part of these recipes are! Be sure to share this suggested menu with a friend too! Thanks for reading!
– Emma Goss Custard