Hi from all of us at Honeybuns bakery in Dorset, I don’t know about you, but I’m so ready for Spring to be here now. Nature is finally coming into bud at Naish Farm, Honeybuns HQ. The birds are entertaining us with their aerial acrobatics from the office windows. The daffs are nodding on the breeze and our pet chickens are out sunbathing. Even the delivery drivers seem more cheery- a sure sign that sunnier times are ahead.
Mother’s Day presents the perfect opportunity to both celebrate Spring’s arrival and to celebrate our mums at the same time. Here we bring you our simple guide to a gorgeous, laid back Mothering Sunday. How does Brunch in bed followed by handmade presents and Netflix sound?
Special note: We’re aware that this will be a very sad time for many who have lost their mum, and in no way do we wish to cause distress. I lost my mum back in 2000 and I’m not sure I’ll ever be ‘over it’. To counteract the sadness I’m going to embrace Mothering Sunday as an opportunity to be kind to myself. I hope you will do the same.
With love, Em x
Super quick Mothering Sunday brunch recipe, in less than 30 mins
Healthy, Fruity Breakfast Pots recipe
Gluten free, nut free, dairy free and vegan.
Ingredients for the gluten free seeded crackers:
- 60g toasted seeds (we used a mixture of sunflower, linseed and pumpkin)
- 20g sugar (white granulated, Demerara and coconut sugar would all work well)
- 4tsp liquid vegan sweetener (golden, maple or coconut syrup would be ideal)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 peaches, pitted and cut into chunks (nectarines would work & tinned is fine too)
- 200g raspberries (fresh or frozen. Mixed berries are also fine)
- 250g Greek yoghurt (or use a dairy free & vegan alternative such as Coyo)
- 30g toasted coconut flakes (or use more toasted seeds)
How to make this quick and easy Brunch in Bed for mum
Pre heat your oven to 200°C / Gas 6.
Let’s start with the crackers: place the cracker ingredients in a food processor and blitz for 1-2 minutes. Try squeezing the dough into a ball. It’s ready when you can do this.
Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of baking parchment/paper, as thin as you can manage. Peel the top layer of paper off and transfer the bottom sheet with rolled out dough onto a metal baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes until golden in colour.
Transfer the sheet of baked dough to a cooling rack. Once cooled cut or snap into shards or triangle shapes- whatever you prefer.
Spare crackers can be stored for 5 days in an airtight container of frozen.
How to roast your fruits
Simply pop your fruits in a roasting tin & roast for 10 minutes before stirring and roasting for another 10 minutes.
Allow to cool.
Layer up two serving glasses with the roasted fruit and yoghurt. One layer of fruit and one of yoghurt and repeat. Top with the seeded cracker shards and toasted coconut flakes.
1. For a leisurely start to Mother’s day why not bake the crackers ahead of time? The fruits can also be roasted the day before. All you then need to do on Sunday morning is fill the glasses up.
2. Make the breakfast tray look really pretty by adding a vintage egg cup or teacup filled with Spring time flowers picked from the garden.
3. For extra decadence try adding some shaving of dark vegan chocolate.
This breakfast pot recipe is adapted from our original ‘Crunchy Topped Breakfast Pots’ from our Honeybuns All Day Cook Book.
And now for the best bit: the Mother’s day presents!
At Honeybuns Bakery we are lucky to be surrounded by lots of inspiring artisan makers of exquisite things. We’ve collaborated this time with the wonderful Enchanted Plants to offer this gorgeous gift set comprising a keepsake Honeybuns tin of gluten free goodies plus a stunning handmade vegan ‘spring’ soap and a stunning handmade (in Dorset natch!) linen gift bag.
Each company we with collaborate with is:
- genuinely artisan, relying on humans rather than machines
- passionate about all things eco
- focused on the highest quality, innovation and customer delight.
By online gift shopping with us you are supporting artisan makers. Our rural enterprises can continue doing what we love – making gorgeous things in a sustainable and honest way.
Now it’s time to light a gorgeous candle , we love the rhubarb & rose from Rhubarb Candles, plump up mum’s favourite cushions, make sure she’s got her cuppa and fave Honeybuns cake & pop the Netflix on!
If you liked this blog then why not take a look at Em’s Easy Peasy recipe for Lemon & Ginger Shortbread.