Happy Easter to all our lovely Honeybunners! Thank you to all our Honeybuns customers and followers. We wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who has leant their support to us over the past year. Our gift to you is this new delicious recipe for easy peasy home made chocolate truffles. With no cooking required, they are an absolute doddle to make. A perfect recipe to try out over the Easter holidays. These decadent sweets are gluten free and vegan friendly and would make a lovely home made present – if you can bear to share them.
We’re sharing two recipes for the price of one. We’re also going to walk you through how to use these chocolates to decorate your very own Millionaire’s Shortbread Stack A Cake. The chocolate caramel stack makes a stunning centre piece dessert. Why not serve it as your Easter lunch pudding with a hot chocolate sauce and vegan ice cream?
This recipe is taken and adapted from the ‘Almond, Chocolate & Cherry Truffles’ recipe in our Honeybuns All Day Cook Book.
What Gluten free ingredients do I need to make my truffles?
The ingredients are pretty straightforward, store cupboard staples. I’ve included alternative suggestions in brackets plus tips on going nut free.
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE INGREDIENTS
- 160g dried figs, stalks removed (pitted prunes, dates, dried apricots or cranberries all work well either solo or mixed)
- 60g coconut oil, softened
- 90g cocoa powder, gluten free and dairy free (Hotel Chocolate do a good quality cocoa powder)
- Approx. 24 glace cherries
- 120g dark dairy free, gluten free chocolate
HOW TO MAKE YOUR HOME MADE, HEALTHY TRUFFLES
- Pop the dried fruit, coconut oil and cocoa powder in a food processor and blitz until a smooth paste is formed. This will take approximately 1 minute.
- Then place the mixture in the fridge for 5 minutes. If you don’t chill it things are likely to get reasonably messy-.Line a large tray with grease proof paper (or lay the paper on a worktop).
- Divide your chilled mixture into 18-24 little truffle balls and place on your paper.
- Using your finger or thumb create an indent in each ball to then place your cherry into. You then need to mould the truffle paste around the cherry to encase it.
- Melt the dark chocolate. If using a microwave, pop your chocolate into a microwavable bowl and heat on full power in 30 second bursts. Stir in between times and err on the side of caution – once chocolate burns there’s no rescuing it. This should take 1 minute-1.5 minutes. Alternatively, place a bowl over a simmering pan of water and place your chocolate in the bowl, taking care not to allow any water to touch the chocolate. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Decant your chocolate into a small bowl. The depth of the molten chocolate needs to be greater than the height of your truffle balls.
- To coat your truffles in chocolate you can either drop them straight in and fish them out with a teaspoon or you can skewer them with a kebab style skewer or cocktail stick and dunk them.
- Place them on your paper, and allow them to cool but not set. Then sprinkle with your decorations of choice and allow to set until you’re ready to gift them or devour them.
TO DECORATE YOUR TRUFFLES, TRY THESE TIPS
- Sea salt flakes
- Edible glitter (Sugarflair do gluten free, plant based ones)
- Edible flowers (rose petals, cornflowers and violas are all pretty)
- Freeze dried fruit pieces (strawberry, raspberry and cranberry all instagram worthy)
- Chopped nuts
- Rice paper daisies – Dr Oetker do some pretty gluten free and vegan daisies and are readily available in supermarkets.
- If you have a steady hand try placing a pumpkin seed, fruit piece and a blue cornflower on top -as a mini arrangement.
For a stunning Easter ‘Free from’ dessert
To make your own millionaire’s gluten free shortbread tray bake simply click here for our recipe.
If you need to make this nut free simply switch the ground almonds for ground flax and switch the nibbed nuts for chopped ,toasted seeds such as pumpkin seeds.
Once baked, you need to cut your tray bake into 15 squares and stack it.
If you’re short on time then you can buy your tray bake here and let us do the leg work.
We also do cake celebration kits including a vintage tea cup and plate to make your own cake stand.
Please note: for UK Easter delivery last orders are noon tomorrow online.
No Skill Cake decorating method:
To beautify your cake stack- place the truffles strategically on top. It’s that easy!
For an extra flourish you can always then drizzle melted dark chocolate artfully over your creation. Or maybe scatter a few edible flowers over the top?
How’s about a cheeky puff of glitter spray?
Vegan candles can look pretty too-..
I really hope you have chance to try out some of these free from ideas over the Easter holidays. We’d love to hear how you get on.
We can still help with last minute Easter presents- we’ve got a gorgeous collection of hand made goodies here- but be quick. Last orders are tomorrow midday for Easter delivery.
For more gluten free cake inspiration try our chocolate and orange brownie recipe here.
And how about our guide to create eco friendly Easter decorations at home.
We also love Glutarama for wonderful baking hacks, tips and pictures.
Would you be happy to leave a google review? Reviews help us to continue improving our service and to attract new customers. You just need to click here.
Happy Easter and thanks for all your support, ’tis greatly appreciated.
Comment below and share what your favourite part of this blog is! Be sure to share this blog with a friend too! Thanks for reading!