We’re always being asked how we get our vegan and dairy free flapjacks to taste so home made. Many customers enjoy one of our Honeybuns cakes, only to then be told it was gluten free and vegan. Often they tell us they were pleasantly surprised and would not necessarily have tried it if they’d known it was ‘free from’. There is still a perception that vegan or any kind of “free from” means food will be lacking in the taste department. This absolutely does not have to be the case.
I’ve chosen our best selling Oaty Raspberry Bar to deconstruct with you. Certified by the Vegan Society, this flapjack has been put through it’s paces and is gluten, dairy, soy and animal product free. It’s one of our best selling cake bars and like all of our other products, it bears the Vegan Society mark of certification.
These gorgeous oat based, vegan bars are perfect for:
- school packed lunch boxes
- working from home snacks
- healthy breakfast or brunch on the go
- wheat free fuel for long walks and cycle rides
What ingredients should I use to bake vegan oat bars at home?
INGREDIENTS FOR MELTING
165g refined coconut oil
195g golden date syrup
INGREDIENTS FOR MIXING
85g light muscovado sugar
½ teaspoon salt, optional
215g gluten free oats (if going oat free try millet flakes or rice flakes)
95g gluten free oat flour (for an oat free version try rice flour)
55g golden ground flax
80g sultanas (or other dried fruit of choice)
25g freeze dried raspberry crumb
45g icing sugar
1g freeze dried raspberry
How do I make these bars and how long will it take?
This recipe is ridiculously easy and will take you 10 minutes maximum of prep, plus 30-35 mins of baking time.
- Brush a tray bake tin with vegetable oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Melt the oil and syrup together in a pan on the hob on a medium heat. This will only take 5 minutes plus a bit of stirring.
- Pop the mixing ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Once melted, pour in the oil and syrup.
- Stir these ingredients thoroughly, ensuring the dry ingredients are coated with the molten mix.
- Pop this mixture into your oiled tin and press it in gently.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until light golden in colour.
- Leave in the tin to cool.
- Mix your icing ingredients in a bowl. You will end up with a pretty pink icing which can be drizzled over your cooled flapjack.
- Always check ingredients labels to see if it is vegan friendly and preferable registered with the Vegan Society.
- Batch baking is a great idea – make the most of your oven when it is on. These flapjacks can be frozen once baked or why not free them in foil trays raw. You can then bake them off when the kids or friends are at home.
- Feel free to swap ingredients around. Dried fruits can be anything you fancy. Cranberries, raisins, currants and goji berries all work well.
- Instead of icing why not try drizzling with a super dark dairy free and vegan chocolate.
Do let us know how you get on.
If you don’t have time for baking your own, then you can buy these delicious free from Oaty Raspberry Bars from the Honeybuns online shop. They’re available as traybakes or individually wrapped slices. What’s more, these can be frozen on receipt and enjoyed at a later date.
For more great vegan recipes why not try these tasty no bake Peanut Butter Protein Power Balls. They’re really delicious and great for lunchboxes.
Another of our vegan favourites is the top selling Dark Chocolate Brownie with truffles – in this recipe we guide you step-by-step to make this gorgeous vegan centrepiece.
If time is too short for baking or if you’d like to send someone a gorgeous surprise in the post then the Honeybuns Honeybuns online shop is full to bursting with chocolate gluten free , dairy free and vegan treats.
We’d love to hear how you get on with this recipe. If you have any questions- do get in touch via this blog in the comments section or facebook, email or telephone. We’d love to see you pics.
Comment below and share what your favourite part of this blog is! Be sure to share this blog with a friend too! Thanks for reading!
Would you be happy to leave a google review? Reviews help us to continue improving our service and to attract new customers. You just need to click here.